Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Central Washington State Fair



Every year, once the apple harvest begins/beginning of fall, the Central Washington State Fair takes place here in Yakima. It is a fun fair. It's very large with plenty to do and see. Growing up in Yakima, my mom always encouraged us to enter things into the fair for judging. We entered anything from sewing projects to baked goods to dried or canned fruit to flowers. It was lots of fun.

We would enter about 20-30 different items per child (times that by how many kids are in my family and you have a lot of items going into the fair from the Carlson home over the years). You would earn ribbons and if you got a blue ribbon, it was worth $3, a red was worth $2 and a white one was worth $1. One year I got 3 Best of Shows. One was for peanut butter chocolates that looked like chocolate peanuts, one was for a pineapple upside down cake, and the other for a flower I entered. I brought in bank that year!!!!!

What a great opportunity for children to learn and be rewarded for their efforts. Then the pride of going to the fair and seeing your items is awesome. What a fun fair!!!! It helps to get you excited about Fall time with the changing of the leaves and fruit and vegetable harvests.


4 comments:

Olivia Carter said...

i agree that its a great experience for kids. I even meant to submit stuff this year but, gosh... busy, busy!

Unknown said...

I would love to see the sewing projects you entered into the fair.

Em and Russ said...

Ashley, it was a long time ago and I don't want to talk about it.

Carrie Snider said...

My brothers used to always enter their lego creations.